Sunday, January 31, 2010

A summer ER trip

July 31, 2009
Subject: A summer ER trip!
I know you haven't heard from me in a long time. I'm well aware of it and I will write about what we've been up to. But for now, let me tell you that Aria is off to the ER. Yesterday I took her to the ER for what I was pretty sure was swimmer's ear. Sure enough, she has an external otitis in her right ear for which she was prescribed medicated ear drops. She didn't have a fever so no labs needed to be drawn. We left the ER, however, with the urgent reminder that things can change very quickly for oncology patients with any kind of infection. The ER doctor mentioned that the bacteria responsible for swimmer's ear is particularly nasty so to watch her carefully. What would ordinarily feel like a normal kind of summer kid thing felt heavy. By yesterday afternoon she was feeling better and this morning she was great. As a matter of fact, she was terrific all day long.

Suddenly, about 20 minutes ago she came into the living room and laid down on the couch with a blanket over her. She said she just felt tired. Jeannie Goddess, who is visiting right now went to her and said that her forehead felt hot so she took her temperature (100.5). This is an ER visit. I waited a few minutes and began to gather some things and took her temp again (100.9). I started hurrying around a little more and packed all her things, ran out and told Doc, who quickly came in to shower and get ready. I called the clinic and let them know we were coming. About 10 minutes had passed and for fun I took her temp again because she seemed so well (101.3).

So off they went. Yesterday's ER visit was the first time ever we were able to leave the ER and come home. I don't think this will be the case for tonight but you never know!! Her ANC this past Tuesday was 1012, which is pretty decent but with a bacterial infection in her ear already, things could be rapidly changing. Please keep her in the light. ~j

No comments:

Post a Comment