Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Insights of an old Soul

Subject: Insights of an old soul
March 21, 2008

Yesterday I was getting Aria dressed and we had the most fascinating conversation.
“Mom, I want to have a ponytail again. I want you to use my black baubles. But my hair is not going to be there and then it will grow back!”
I was so floored I didn’t know how to respond. It took me a moment to collect myself. It was the first time she expressed any longing for what her hair used to be.
“Aria, after all of your hair grows back you can decide if you want long or short hair. If you want long hair again then I will definitely use your black baubles.” I told her gently.
She smiled and said, “Mom, I’m just not myself because I am so sick. But when I’m not sick anymore, then I will be me again and I will be FREE FREE FREE!”
It was all I could do not to cry. I held her shoulders and said, “Aria, that is so insightful for someone who is only 4 years old. You are an old soul and I am so proud of you.”
“Hey Mom, what’s insightful?”
“Aria, to be insightful means that you are smart and sensitive. It means that you know who you are no matter what.”
Aria looked at me with a crooked smile and said, “That’s right! Come on, let’s go play!”
Imagine. I get to be her mother!
~j

No comments:

Post a Comment